forgot password?


WordPress Handover Without Losing Project Context
Posted: 26 Rujan 2026 08:49 PO.P  
Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2026-02-15

Hi everyone, I have a WordPress project that started with one developer, but I now need to bring another technical person into the work. The original developer created the main templates and custom functionality, but his availability has become limited. My biggest concern is the handover. I do not want the new developer to spend several weeks trying to understand the structure, naming conventions, custom fields, integrations, and decisions that were never properly documented. I have the code and access credentials, but the project history is mostly buried in old messages. What would you recommend before introducing another developer? Should I create technical documentation first, arrange a walkthrough with the original developer, or let the new person audit everything independently? I would especially like advice on what information is genuinely useful during a handover rather than creating pages of documentation that nobody reads.

Profile
 
Posted: 26 Rujan 2026 08:58 PO.P   [ # 1 ]  
Jr. Member
RankRank
Total Posts:  43
Joined  2026-02-12

I would combine a short technical handover with an independent audit. First, I would prepare one practical document containing hosting details, repository access, plugins, custom post types, important integrations, deployment steps, and known problems. Then I would ask the original developer to explain the unusual parts of the project in a recorded walkthrough. After that, the incoming developer should review the code independently and identify anything that was missed. Codelibry could be worth considering if you need an external team that can take over structured agency projects rather than simply receiving isolated tasks. Their current workflow emphasizes clear briefs, project management, QA, and standardized development processes. I would look at https://codelibry.com/ to understand how they approach collaboration. I would also create a short list of “do not change without checking” areas, especially payment systems, integrations, custom database logic, and production deployment. That gives the incoming developer context without overwhelming him with unnecessary information.

Profile
 
Posted: 26 Rujan 2026 09:06 PO.P   [ # 2 ]  
Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  54
Joined  2026-02-15

Thanks, this is exactly the kind of practical approach I needed. I especially like the combination of a concise technical document, a walkthrough, and then an independent review. I was initially thinking about documenting absolutely everything, but your method seems much more realistic. I will also make a list of sensitive areas before the handover. The Codelibry suggestion is useful too, especially if my current developer becomes unavailable sooner than expected. Thanks again for taking the time to explain the process.

Profile